Saturday, October 21, 2006

Diwali : Festival Of Lights ( read noise).....

Deepasya Aavalihi = Deepaavalihi
Thats how the word originated. Its sanskrit. The word deepa means light and aavalihi means arrangement... So it means "Arrangement or Display of lights"... Over the past few years my outlook towards this festival has completely changed.....

1997....

I was in 6th grade. My mom woke me at about 4:00 am in the morning. I was not sleeping actually. I was full of excitement. It was DIWALI!!! Hurray!!! I took a hot water bath with "sheekai", got the blessing of my grandparents and took my new clothes from them. Wore them as soon as i could and ran out with my bag of crackers.
After bursting crackers for more than five hours straight, i went back into the house tired and hungry. Mom served me with awesome sweets and then the main course.
Then we all sat down to watch some new flick on TV. After that a small nap....
Evening we went to the terrace and there were rockets, flower pots, chakkars etc etc... Then dinner and then another movie on TV...

2006

I got up at arond 9:00 am... Would've slept for a longer time if not for those idiotic crackers... Slowly and unwillingly i got up, brushed my teeth, had coffee and came and sat in front of my computer... Checked my mail. I then took my mobile phone and was disgusted to find my inbox flodded with "WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY DIWALI" messages. Deleted them all, dint bother to reply tomost of them...
The noise outside was extremely irritating and getting on my nerves by now... So i came back to my computer and was just browsing...
I looked outside my window, and my face lightened up... IT HAD STARTED TO RAIN!!!
The north-east monsoon has set in... HURRAY!! No more crackers, no more noise... I imagined what my reaction would have been if it had rained like this on diwali day few years back... I would've been so dejected....
I dont like diwali anymore... Its just noise noise everywhere... I have completely lost that "Spirit Of Diwali" that i still have no clue as to what movies are gonna be aired today on TV!
This is a conversation i had with a friend some time back...

He: Hi da, have you bought clothes and crackers?
Me: No dude, I dont burst crackers anymore.
He: Oh.. You are missing out on all the fun man! You are not one of those "pollution"
freaks are you?
Me: Well, Fortunately i AM one of those pollution freaks man.. So tell me, how much
did you spend on the crackers you bought?
HE: I guess around 3000 bucks...
Me: Oh awesome man... know what? you could've as well jus took 3000 bucks and burnt
it in the stove! the only difference is there wont be as much noise... but if you
want i can give you all that noise for free....
HE: Whateva man, dont impose your principles on me....
Me: I am not imposing or anything man, its just that your grown up enough now to know
what is good and what is not....
He: Ok mr. save mother nature! I've gotta go now... Gonna burst some crackers. So see
you soon...
Me: Ok man... i really hope it rains on Diwali... take care...


So here i am... Blogging at 10:30 am.... Something i have never done on any Diwali before....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us this...Why is there a change in your prespective about Diwali over the years?? Mebe coz it happens every other year and you lost the enthusiasm in it...Or mebe coz you are grown up to burst crackers or have an oil bath at 4 in the morning.. Vulnerability and that caused the loss of enthusiasm.

This is the second Diwali I am celebrating with, "no crackers,no oil bath,no gud food and no blasting sound of crackers around." And this has caused some kinda agitation on me that I wanna get back home and celebrate the next one with pomp and show.

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well..i couldn agree wid u more on the bursting crackers part..but hey its festival..celebrated fer krishnas victory..which could be celebrated devoid of crackers and as u said..DEEPASYA AAVALIHI..!well dats wat i did..!=)

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a spoilsport.. :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

come on da... money is not what we get to take back...
the difference between burning 300 bucks on the stove and buying crackers worth that money is not the noise.. if u do feel that way u are just shallow..
when u c the money burning like it wud for any human it wud jus kill his insides whereas when he actually is doing something he enjoys, watching the colours of the crackers, the fun-filled-shock he gets from the bang he hears after every bomb that he bursts.. its just priceless.. its just the human emotions that is the difference da.. have more consideration and a deeper thought into what everyone feels.. besides what u feel about polluting the air, the amount that guy is going to pollute the environment believe me, is going to be much less than the amount of pollution produced cos of ur bike cos of how much u commute all year..u don have to solve all problems based on technicality life wouldn't be worth living at all..

10:29 AM  
Blogger John said...

Happy Diwali and great post on diwali festival. 'Festival of Lights' or Diwali is a festival which has the potential of unifying entire India because of the charisma and splendor surrounding this festival. But Diwali Celebration is incomplete without exchange of special Diwali Gifts. but it is difficult for NRI people to meet relative face to face on this holy festival. so they send online diwali gifts to india and keep the tradition of this festival.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home